McCurdy School, Espanola Mexico
McCurdy School was founded in 1912 in the Espanola Valley of northern New Mexico by the United Brethren Church to provide quality education among the poor and disadvantaged. Of the 31 graduates in 2011, 30 are attending institutions of higher education and one enlisted in the Job Corp. Together they were offered more than $417,000 in college scholarships. In August 2012 McCurdy School will become a Charter School. This change will position the school for more financial resources. At the same time the 44 acre campus will continue to be owned and maintained by McCurdy Ministries of the United Methodist Church. This will continue the many ministries to women, children, and families of the Espanola Valley.
Sulphur Grove has traveled to McCurdy annually for the last 10 years, providing volunteers to assist in the classroom, the computer lab, and the maintenance department. SG volunteers stay in a dorm and eat many of their meals with students in the cafeteria. The team visits favorite restaurants in the Valley for other meals. Usually, mission teams take a break during the week to also see some of New Mexico’s most beautiful attractions!
The McCurdy Mission Team usually visits McCurdy in the fall of the year. For more info on the next trip, please contact the church office.